Saturday, March 17, 2007

Blessed by Prayer


One of the things that I asked people to pray for when I was preparing to come to Israel was that I would really grow in a deeper and more complete knowledge of God's Word. I really believe that God has and is answering those prayers in my life. Lately I have been having a deeper desire to spend more time in the word. I find myself chasing ideas back and forth through the pages of scripture gaining insight that I did not have before. I have also been blessed with the opportunity to memorize some scripture that has helped my prayer life and in general encouraged me to pursue holiness. I have never been especially strong at memorizing scripture but in the past month or so I have been able to learn several substantial passages that have already blessed my walk with God. I say this not out of boasting but out of thankfulness for not two single words would stick in my mind with out His strength. One of the passages that I have just finished is Psalm 103. One line in the Psalm says: "He knows that we are dust. As for man his days are like grass the wind blows and it is gone and its place remembers it no more." It struck me when I was in the negev and the southern desert that this is exactly what happens to grass in many places here; the grass and flowers flourish in the winter months when their is ample rain but then when summer comes and the "wind blows" the grass dies and is gone. This is our life in a nutshell. It is very humbling. We flourish by God's grace and then "our place remembers us no more." The good news is that we live eternally through Jesus Christ when we believe in and fear him. It is our role as followers of Jesus to rely on him and to "flourish" for the glory of his kingdom. Here is the Psalm, I hope you enjoy it and the promises that God gives to us who fear Him.


"Praise the Lord oh my soul, all my inmost being praise his holy name, praise the Lord all my soul and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems you out of the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies you with good things so that your soul may be renewed like the eagles. The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel. The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse nor will he harbor his anger forever. For the Lord does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth so great is his love for those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west so far has he separated us from our transgressions. As a father has compassion on his children so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him. For he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. As for man his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field, the wind blows over it and it is gone and its place remembers it no more. From everlasting to everlasting the love of the Lord is with those who fear him, his righteousness with his children's children, with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts. The Lord has established his throne in the heavens and his kingdom rules over all. Praise the Lord you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word, praise the Lord you his heavenly host, you his servants who obey his will. Praise the Lord all his works, everywhere in his dominion. Praise the Lord oh my soul."

3 comments:

A. Engler said...

Justin! It sounds as if every one of my prayers regarding your stay in Jerusalem is being answered. Drink deeply from the well of scripture and times of intimacy with the Lord. Enjoy and participate as fully as you can in all the festivities in Jerusalem this week. When I was there last year after the Holy Thursday service when we all hiked out to the Garden of Gesthemene, I scaled the wall and stayed for a few hours that night praying there where (more or less of course) where Jesus did. It was a profound night.

Continue to be blessed! Your time there will be a part of you always!

Many blessings, brother.

Unknown said...

Hi Justin;

Hope this finds you well and I hope you might be able to look up this couple, John & Dariel Myers.

They are originally from Williamsport and I think you would find them intersting. Below is a site to find their address.


http://www.israelprayer.com/JerusalemRegionProfiles.html

Unknown said...

Hi Justin;

Hope this finds you well and I hope you might be able to look up this couple, John & Dariel Myers.

They are originally from Williamsport and I think you would find them intersting. Below is a site to find their address.


http://www.israelprayer.com/JerusalemRegionProfiles.html